Friday, May 6, 2011

30 Something- House

For the next month or so, I will be posting about "30 Something"- for your entertainment (?) and our embarrassment :)
Ron and I will be celebrating our 30 something anniversary this month. (okay- 35 to be exact). So here is my first post called "30 Something- House".
During the past year, we have attended church several times with Sam and Audrey. A while back we realized that one of our first homes was right there close to the building where they attend church. On one trip there, Ron and I wandered around thinking that we might recognize it if we saw it- yeah right. I realized that I needed the exact address in order to find it. In a nutshell... we found it last week, when we were there for Eli's blessing. Have you ever had the experience of returning somewhere, as an adult, that was familiar to you as a child? Did you realize that what you thought was "very big" as a child is actually "very small"? So we lived at this house as young adults and returned as old adults- but the same principle still applies- I can't imagine how we ever lived in this "tiny house". The house right now is actually vacant, so Ron and I were able to walk around the yard and look in the windows. I have NO memories what-so-ever of living there. I only have a few old pictures. Moral of this story- take more pictures and keep a journal! The girls don't like it when I take pictures of "stuff and rooms"- but I am really wishing that I had lots of pictures of "stuff and rooms" right now.  




Brand new house June 1977.


Back of the house- Mustang in the garage and Subaru in the drive way.

The only picture of the dining room, looking out the front window. This room was just big enough for a small round table and a high chair.

Living room. Notice the rust colored carpet :) When we looked in the back door to this room, it was unbelievable how small it was. I think we had a sofa, a love seat, and that black trunk and nothing else would fit :) Small fireplace in the corner- hallway behind me goes to the dining room (to the left), the front door (center) and then to the right for 3 bedrooms.


Gotta love that carpet :)

The house, May 2011.



Back view- now has a covered porch and fenced yard.

If you look really close to the background of this pic- I am standing on the driveway in the back yard- so you are looking toward the east- just empty space. This was one of the first houses built here. Now when you look that direction there is a major street there and lots more houses. No wonder we couldn't recognize anything :)


4 comments:

Annie said...

I've been enjoying looking back at just the past 10 years. I can't imagine looking at the last 30! These pictures are older than me...
it's fun to see these things, especially to actually go. Glad you found it.

WhiteEyebrows said...

I'm glad you finally found this. Can't believe it was right under our nose the whole time.

A2 said...

Ya, we drove on the right street even last time we looked! Even though it had small rooms it had 3 bedrooms and was brand new...with 2 cars in the garage That's pretty good for newlyweds I'd say. Gotta love Texas!

Debora said...

Yep- we have been spoiled since day 1. It was an advantage to buy our first homes in Texas- not hardly anything down and CHEAP! Notice I said homes (plural) this was actually out second home, in our first year of marriage :)