2.01.2009

I Can't Do That

Four years ago when an idea I had for a store, actually started becoming reality, I had to take on the title of "owner". It seemed rather strange when I was filling out various forms or signing various documents to claim the title of "owner". Little did I know that my job description would soon also include such things as- buyer, store manager, seamstress, sales clerk, custodian, exterminator, accountant, payroll manager, software expert, hardware expert, PR specialist, advertising manager, daytime help, nighttime help, weekend help, fashion designer, fashion coordinator, website designer, receiving clerk, shipping clerk, steaming and pressing clerk, interior designer...the list goes on and on. Some of these tasks I mastered relatively quickly, others I'm still working on, and others are still a hopeless challenge. Looking back, if some one had told me that all of these duties would be on my job description today, I would have said,
"I can't do that".
Some times I used to complain about not knowing what lies ahead on the "road of life". A wise, and very dear friend (from Bartlesville) used to tell me, "It's better that we don't know what might lie ahead". Even though I thought I understood that concept at the time- I now have a greater understanding. Sometimes if we were to know exactly what lies ahead we might not have the courage to face those challenges. Instead Heavenly Father expects us to step out in faith, knowing that we will have assistance along the way when we need it. Because of my religious faith, I believe that we lived in a spirit world before we came to this life. Even then if we had been shown all that was in store for us ahead, we might have said, "I can't do that." Instead we stepped out in faith, believing that Heavenly Father would help us through what ever trials might come. Knowing that through those challenges and trials would come a learning process that would make us better. A learning process that would be a necessity to our progression. Next time we are tempted to say, "I can't do that"- we might be surprised at what is possible with faith and the Lord's help. As a famous quote says, "it won't be easy, but it will be worth it."

No comments: