12.07.2010

Candy Bar Tree

A while back I saw an idea for a "Best Witches Candy Bar Tree". It was a candy bar tree for Halloween. I'm thinking...I'll bet I can do a Christmas one.
It's a rather messy project.



I hesitate to post this idea, because the directions are pretty vague. The directions for the Halloween tree said, " Adhere candy bars to a Styrofoam cone using a glue gun so that candy bars are staggered like shingles on a roof. Place in flowerpot and decorate with raffia." So, it's a little more complicated than that :)


I bought two Styrofoam cones (can't remember exactly what size)- I bought two small metal pails- I filled them with glass beads (to give it some weight at the bottom)- I glued the cones into the pail- I glued the candy bars on (it took two bags of mini candy bars for each tree. "Crunch" bars that were wrapped in red, green and silver wrapping)- then I filled in bare spots with sprigs of green and white garland (that is the messy part- have you ever cut up garland before ? :) I also glued a small tuft of garland on the very top and some silver curly ribbon. They turned out pretty cute, but it is definitely a test of hot glue on garland and foam (that also tends to melt) and trying not to burn your fingers or melt the candy bars.  This is one of those gifts that looks too cute to tear apart- but that's the only way to eat the candy. Actually I think with a small pair of scissors the ends of the wrappers could just be cut open to take the candy bars out- leaving the wrappers on the tree. But...after I give them away it doesn't matter exactly what happens to them :)
PS- Sorry the pictures aren't better- it's pretty hard to see how the candy bars look.

No comments: