3.06.2018

Life Upside Down

When mom went back to the nursing home, everything she knew as normal was gone. We put alot of prayer and thought into the choice to move her there. After three weeks of taking care of her in the bed, we realized that we couldn't do enough for her here at home. The pace was more than we could handle. I couldn't leave home, hardly ever, and when a Home Instead lady wasn't here...Ron was the one helping me. So it was a sad day when she went back to the nursing home and that was compounded by a few other things. She no longer had her chair, her TV, her radio, and my cooking... but they also took away the Hospice nurse that we liked and her priest at Saint Christopher's retired.  On top of those things she had some dementia that was rapidly progressing, so she was not very happy there at the nursing home. I went there everyday for at least a couple hours and we hired Kelly (one of the former Home Instead ladies) to also go there for two hours everyday. She not only helped mom, but she was extra eyes and ears for me, to know what was going on at the nursing home. The Hospice aids still went to bathe her...but even that was a struggle. Of course, Andersons went to see her every Sunday, before coming to our house for dinner.
This week, I have been finishing up details for the memorial service here at Saint Christopher's. I ordered some photos to be mounted on foam core board, ordered some flowers, and have been putting together some other photos and items to display on a table. I called her long term insurance trying to get reimbursement for the nursing home bill. I called her life insurance to get that claim started. I called to start making plans for Denver...at the cemetery and a memorial service there. I still have other items to finish and I don't have the death certificates yet. I have been sorting through her old photos and family history info. and I need to clean out her room... mostly just clothing to donate.

No comments: