10.14.2022

Changed for Good

There is a song that I love from Wicked, called "For Good". I heard Mat and Savanna Shaw sing it. Here are a few of the words-

I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn. And we are led to those who help us most to grow, if we let them. And we help them in return. Well, I don't know if I believe that's true. But I know I'm who I am today because I knew you. Who can say if I've been changed for the better? But... Because I knew you, because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

These words remind me of something that happened last week, when I had to serve on jury duty. I was put into a group of people that I will never see again, and I don't even know their names. But it changed me for good. Maybe not for better, but for good. 

On Wednesday, October 5th, I had to login to a zoom meeting at 8 am, with about 350 people. A few of those people got excused because the court dates were Oct. 6,7, and 10. That group got assigned to several 45 person panels. My panel was to report to court room 131 at 9 am on Thursday morning. I was there until about 4 that day. That was group questioning and individual questioning, that resulted in a 12-person jury. I was #4 of those twelve people. I had to report again at 9:30 am on Friday. That day was opening statements and testimony of three witnesses. (The plaintiff, the defendant, and the plaintiff's wife) Some of that was very boring 😉😖.  Monday was closing statements and then the jury deliberation. Over the weekend, as I thought about the case, I got angry at what the jury was expected to do, with what I thought was insufficient information. Then I realized that what I thought was insufficient information... was actually nonexistent information. The case was a lawsuit for injuries from a traffic accident. Our first decision was "who was at fault" for the accident. If it was the plaintiff, then our work was done, because then there was no grounds for the lawsuit.  One of the most amazing things that happened was that the jury was unanimous that the fault for the accident was the plaintiff... so we were done. I volunteered to be the "fore person". Which was much easier than any of us expected. I had to sit in a particular chair, answer one question and give the paperwork to the bailiff.  The judge actually read the decision. 

I am grateful to live in this country were things like this are settled in court with a jury. I was sad that the accident happened almost 4 years ago and is just now in court, but covid took two of those years and the court is still back logged because of that. I was the oldest person on the jury, and this is my first time to ever serve on a jury. I got a summons in Houston when we lived there, but I didn't get chosen. It is somewhat amazing how being put into a situation like jury duty can change us and change our thinking. 

No comments: