2.21.2022

Nathan S.

 It is unbelievable that our oldest grandson is a Senior in High School this year and he will graduate in June and go on a mission in late Summer. I guess we actually are that old- lol. Nathan has been playing on a school basketball team. Here is an interesting story about their last game and Senior night. First Annie's version and then Nathan's version.

Annie Nathan BB Story

We had an interesting experience last week. On Thursday, we were notified that the last home game (which was Senior Night) got moved to a Sunday afternoon. For religious reasons, we don’t do sports on Sunday, so it was heartbreaking for them to move that last game, excluding Nathan from participating. Right away I messaged the athletic director and asked if there was any way they could move the game. The response was quick - “No, we didn’t have any other choice.” We went to his home game that evening, thinking it was his last. Alex and I waited after the game for Nathan to come out of the locker room. I wanted to snap a couple pictures, since we wouldn’t get another chance. The gym was completely empty by then, except for Nathan’s coach. I thought how sad it was that he wouldn’t get his moment of recognition, but then I thought maybe that was his “moment”, being willing to literally stand alone, with no crowd cheering, no recognition, but standing up for his beliefs even when it was something important and would have been easy to make an exception. Nathan’s coach and teammates also know about Nathan’s beliefs and his coach was really disappointed too that they moved the game. He said he was going to try to get the game moved. I didn’t have much hope, but Nathan also believed in the power of prayer. We prayed hard… The next morning, I sent another message to the director… and was surprised to get a “we’re working on it”. Hope! A few hours later, they said they had been able to move the game to Saturday night! Oh happy day!! I couldn’t believe it, because they had a lot of people to coordinate with - a whole wrestling tournament, the other team, and who knows how many other people - all on Nathan’s behalf (and his assistant coach who is a pastor). Turns out that Nathan’s coach fought for him. Way to go coach! I was really proud of Nathan for being consistent all through the season with his religious beliefs and not caving even when it meant missing his senior night game. If this was a test, he passed with flying colors!

Nathan-

Following up on my last post. So originally senior night was scheduled on Sunday, and so we asked the athletic director to try to move it, but he wouldn't try. So I ask my coach about it and he said he would fight to get it moved. And he got it moved! I am grateful for a awesome coach! A wrestling tournament had to he moved and they had to coordinate with girls basketball to get a different time that was not on Sunday. I know that the Lord blesses us as we strive to Keep the Sabbath and works through others like my coach!


What an amazing story Nathan has now to share with people on his mission. Nathan is a great young man and a good example for his brothers.

Also Nathan has been applying to Universities for school after the mission. He recently told everyone that he got accepted to BYU and plans to go there. Sam claims this was "his fault" 😉for giving Nathan a BYU hoodie. Looks great.







No comments: